Table of contents
- Table of contents
- Connect cables
- Set internal hard drives to single or master
- Power on
- Check device connection
- Completing a transfer
These are instructions on how to connect drives using either the Tableau Ultrakit forensic bridges or FRED panel Ultrabay write blockers.
- Connect the power supply to the forensic bridge.
- Device cables are available in the yellow case or labeled plastic drawers on the bakers rack.
- Connect the device to power.
- Connect devices with external power as usual.
- Connect uncased internal devices to power through the forensic bridge with a 3M drive power cable or a Molex to 3M drive power cable.
Host computer cables
- Connect the forensic bridge to the host computer via Firewire or USB.
IDE device cables
- Connect the blue Host side of an IDE cable to the forensic bridge. Connect the black side to the device.
Set internal hard drives to single or master
- Make sure the jumper pins on the hard drive are set to single or master.
- Look for a schematic displaying where to place a shunt on the pins or etched labels on the circuit board.
- Research the hard drive model number if you can’t find the jumper configuration on the drive.
- Switch on power on the forensic bridge. Switch on the device with transfer media.
- Look for Power, Write Block, Host, Device, and, Activity lights to turn on.
- Turn the device off and on again if the Activity light does not turn on after a minute. Turn the forensic bridge off and on if not resolved.
- Zip disk drives almost always need to be turned off and on before they will connect. This may also be necessary between Zip disks.
Check device connection
- Look for the device under Disk Utility if you don’t see a prompt indicating the device has been connected.
- When imaging legacy media the device might only appear in the FTK Imager drive list.
Completing a transfer
- Contact Digital Preservation staff if transfer fails.
- Turn the device and the forensic bridge off once the media has been transferred.
- Disconnect the cables and place them back in the case or the labeled drawers.
- If you are using an Ultrakit bridge, place it back in the case.
- Place the media on the Transferred shelf.